Legendary places
10 Lutego Street (February 10th Street)
It's the legendary and most popular vantage point in Poland along 10 Lutego Street (February 10th Street). On this day in 1926, Gdynia received its city rights. The date was not accidental as on...

The Polish Ocean Lines building
This modernistic building from 1936 was designed by Roman Piotrowski for Social Insurance Institution. It is now known in Gdynia as the headquarters of the Polish Ocean Lines. Since 1951 the line...

Starowiejska Street
It was the oldest traffic route in the Gdynia village. The oldest Gdynia clans had their farmyards along the road. Nowadays, it is covered with a historic paving from the 1920's and it is 750m long....

The Abraham's house
Nowadays, it belongs to the Museum of the City of Gdynia. It was built in 1902 and it is the last relic of rural buildings in Starowiejska street. The slantwise front documents the changes in the...

The Antoni Abraham monument
Antoni Abraham (1869-1923) aka 'King of Cassubia' was one of the most hardworking Kashubian activist. His and Tomasz Rogala's journey to Versailles, where they asked for annexing Cassubia to Poland,...

'Kashubian Couple on a Bench' sculpture
The sculpture commemorates a romantic legend about the love of Jacob and Elizabeth Scheibe. Jacob, a fisherman, built an impressive house on the Kashubian Square. On the top of the building there was...

The Apostelship of the Sea Stella Maris
The Gdynia Stella Maris Center does pastoral and helping work among crews of foreign ships which enter the Gdynia port. 'Stella Maris' integrates the maritime society in Gdynia. In the 'Our Lady of...

Historical fishing cottage
In the oldest preserved residential building in Gdynia, there is currently a cafe 'Strych'. It's the last witness to the 19th century fishing village. The cottage was built in 1890 and at the time it...

'Kolonia Rybacka' ('Fishing Colony') district
It's a complex of 16 terraced houses built in 1930 for fishing families as a compensation for houses which were destroyed in the port construction. The centre of Polish deep-sea fishing developed in...

The Port Construction Office building
This residential-office building was built in 1928 and had a little courtyard at the front which referred to historic assumptions of Polish manors. In the past, the house was neighboring on the...

Tadeusz Wenda Fishing Cross
The cross, which was Wenda's idea, was put at the base of a wooden pier, the so-called 'Temporary Military Port and a Shelter for Fishermen'. As the port was expanding, with time, the cross was...

The National Meteorological Institute building
Currently, it is the premises of the Institute of Meteorology and Water Management department. The edifice was being built in the years 1927-1928 and was designed by T. Doberski and in 1929 three...

The Polish Shipping building
Currently, it's an element of the Navy headquarters complex. It was built in 1929 and designed by Adam Ballenstedt for the 'Polish Shipping'. The company was run by a famous seaman Julian Rummel....

Ship-museum 'ORP Błyskawica'
The destroyer was built in 1937 in Great Britain. It was one of the most modest ships in its class in the world. It participated in numerous combat operations. It supported convoys and fought in the...

Ship-museum 'Dar Pomorza'
The sailing ship was built as 'Prinzess Eitel Friedrich' in Hamburg in 1909. It became a learning sailing ship 'Dar Pomorza' of Gdynia Maritime School in 1929. It sailed around the world in the years...

The Alley of Passenger Ships visiting Gdynia
It's a collection of memorial plaques with images of passenger ships. The first plaque was presented on July 1st, 2001 and it presented the 'Birka Princess'. The ship sank on the Greek coast in 2007,...

Joseph Conrad monument
The stone chisel monument designed by Zdzisław Koseda and Wawrzyniec Samp was unveiled in 1976. It commemorates the outstanding marinemaler Joseph Conrad Korzeniowski, a British writer of Polish...

The Gdynia Aquarium
The building was designed by Leonard Tomaszewski and Juliusz Żakowski in 1937 as the Maritime Station premises. It wasn't finished until World War II. It was finally completed in the years 1958-1960...

The Polish Sailor's House
The design of the house was the effect of an architectonic competition which was won by Bohdan Damięcki and Tadeusz Sieczkowski in 1936. It refers to vessel stylistics. It wasn't finished before the...

The Antoni Ledóchowski Planetarium
The planetarium was opened in 1979. It was used as an astronavigation laboratory by the Maritime Academy students. It is also adjusted to conduct lessons for schools and groups interested in...

The Mariusz Zaruski Sailing Pool
The pool and the Polish Sailor's House were supposed to serve as a modern sports complex. Completed in 1936-1937, was closing the representative part of the city whose another element was the South...

The Naval Museum
The museum was created in 1953 in a little villa next to the seaside boulevard. At that time, people started to collect exhibits connected with the history of the Polish Navy. After the villa had...

The Museum of the City of Gdynia
It was created in 1983 and it documents the past and the present of the city. It owns a collection of more than 50,000 exhibits, documents, photos. Among those, there are lots of valuable materials...

The Polish Mariner memorial
It's a plaque commemorating Polish mariners who were killed during the Second World War. It's located in the spot of the Monument of Gratitude to the Soviet Army, so called Natasza, which was moved...

The Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski bust
Kwiatkowski was considered the creator of the construction concept of a modern sea port at the regained Baltic shore. As a Minister of Trade and Industry and Deputy Prime Minister, he supported the...

Miejsca Legendy Morskiej Gdyni poza Szlakiem
The Headquarters of the Port and the Naval Academy in Oksywie
Oksywie was the oldest settlement located in what Gdynia is today. The first news about it come from the 13th century. Oksywie witnessed the most important events connected with the seaside battles...

The Pier in Orłowo
In one of the most beautiful seaside parts in Gdynia, near the Kępa Rodłowska cliff in Orłowo, there's a wooden pier whose history goes back to the prewar times. Its first structure was created in...

The Maritime Station
The Maritime Station, which is located on the grounds of the port of Gdynia, was built in 1933. It served as the centre of passenger traffic service also for emigrants. It was the base of the...

The Kościuszko Square and the South Pier
This is the most popular and the most representative place in Gdynia. The square and the artificially raised pier are the city's showcase. Both, the pier and the square, were created in the 1920's....

The Stone Mountain
The Stone Mountain ('Kamienna Góra') is the smallest district in Gdynia located in the city center on a 50-meters hill with the same name. The Stone Mountain is considered to be the most luxurious...

'Torpedownia' in Babie Doły
300 hundred meters from the beach in Babie Doły, the most bounding Gdynia district in the North, there is the old 'torpedownia' (Polish 'torpeda' - torpedo) which was built by the Krigsmarine and...

The Saint Michael the Archangel Church
The church is the oldest sacred building in Gdynia which comes from the first half of the 13 th century. It is located at the sea shore in Oksywie, one of the most picturesque districts in the city....

The Port of Gdynia
The port's history goes back to the interwar period when Poland regained sea access after the First World War. It was only 120 kilometers without the Free City of Danzig. Although theoretically Poles...

The Alley of Passenger Ships
There isn't any other alley like this in Poland. It was inaugurated in July of 2001 on the South Pier, near the Kościuszko Square. There are plaques commemorating passenger ships which entered the...

A+  A-